6.07.2012

The Greatest Compliment

I am an example to my children. I hope I am more good than bad. I know what my mother went through when I didn't want anything in my hair, having my hair hang over my eyes. Pictures of me as a child gives proof of that. My Mom would tell me that she would do my hair and it would come out minutes later. I feel her possible frustration...at least that's what I feel when it happens at my home.

Elise does this. There are amazing days when I can do a really fun and cute hair-do and she keeps it in, those are few. She has been more open to hair ideas lately. But most days it just lays down, ending up in her eyes, and she tells me she wants it down. It's hard to battle when it's what she wants and it really doesn't matter. So I let it go.  

Lately the popular hair styles she likes is down, in a pony tail, curly.  Yesterday I had put it up in a messy bun high on my head. I have not done that in forever! She comes in my bathroom in the morning and I tell her Good Morning. She starts talking about my hair and asks what it is. Then asks if  she could have that in her hair that day. Then it hit me....she is trying to be like ME!!  My main styles lately are down and pony tail, and curly with occasional up-dos (those are rare). 

It was so sweet to realize that she is mimicking me and I felt so good inside. It makes me want to cherish her even more, if that is even possible? It also made me evaluate the things that I need to work on. I need to be the greatest example I can be, so in turn I can rejoice and see the sweet little girl Heavenly Father wants, knows and intends her to become! 

Not only am I responsible to teach her and Ayla all about life and gospel principles, but what is more important is to make sure she UNDERSTANDS gospel principles.  I know that I can have the Lord's help in knowing what my children need to know, to do, and what they need to be through being instructed and guided by the scriptures, prophets and the Holy Ghost.

"Teaching our children to understand is more than just imparting information. It’s helping our children get the doctrine into their hearts in a way that it becomes part of their very being and is reflected in their attitudes and behavior throughout their lives.

Nephi taught that the role of the Holy Ghost is to carry the truth “unto the hearts of the children of men” (2 Nephi 33:1). Our role as parents is to do all we can to create an atmosphere where our children can feel the influence of the Spirit and then help them recognize what they are feeling."
-Cheryl A. Esplin (from the last general confrence-2nd counselor in the Primary General Presidency)

There is so much joy in having experiences and moments with helping a child understand that it's the Spirit that they are feeling, that Heavenly Father loves them so much and we too can show our love to him in return. It gives me such peace and comfort knowing that He is there and guiding my family and helping us grow and learn and to do the things we need so we can come back to His Presence and be an eternal family.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

so cute. And great insight. Thanks for sharing!