4.19.2010

Fun Snapshots

These pics aren't edited. They were too cute, so I couldn't wait to put them up. They were from last week and I just uploaded them on the computer. The pictures with the poles was when she was pretending to sleep! She was also pretending to lay down on the black top and sleeping with the sounds and all. Funny girl. A little dirt and grime won't hurt. :) I love her face on the bottom, 2nd from the left. Too cute! We love her so much. I know that we will love our next little girl just as much. With this pregnancy I haven't felt much connection. Although before I absolutely knew that I was pregnant, one day I felt this overwhelming spirit come upon me, for no reason at all. I loved the feeling, but thought it was strange because I wasn't doing anything different at the time. After that I had a suspicion I was pregnant, and after finding out, I have no doubt that that moment when I felt the spirit there was new life in me. Back on track...the lack of connection could possibly be due to not the same excitement as the first and my life has been busy with caring for Elise. Curtis reassures me that I do not have to fall in love with her in the womb, but it will come when she is born. Has anyone else have this experience..not really connecting with the baby before they are born? Also doesn't help that I can barely feel her move, as she grows I hope to have more connection as I will be able to feel her move more distinctly. In the womb this baby is very calm and she probably does more squirming around than kicks. That is the only major concern I have, and I hope and believe that she is okay. The placenta is in the front with this one which may pose as an extra cushion to where I can't feel as much. I think my amniotic fluid levels were okay at the ultrasound, but I know I should be drinking more water though. I have roughly 9 more weeks left! They are having me try to figure out her pattern and I'm slowly beginning to be aware of that. Count my blessings...maybe again I will be saying up until the birth that I wouldn't mind being pregnant a little longer, I haven't yet had the feeling of wanting the baby out or uncomfortable nights.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I had the anterior placenta too. I really think that the lack of movement you feel relates directly to your connection to the baby in utero.

I also think that with our firstborn, we spend the pregnancy in awe of the process, daydreaming about the outcome, and in an overall state of excitement. The second time around I didn't regularly pull out my books to see what fruit my baby related to in size that week. I was less anxious about labor, and the novelty was gone a bit. But when it came to delivering and holding that baby for the first time- it was just as surreal and exciting as the first time and I couldn't love her more. I have no doubts you will experience it that way too.

I think that is amazing you felt the spirit that way. I will definitely keep that in mind next time we are hoping to conceive.

Unknown said...

You are wonderful, Shauna!!! And yes, an anterior placenta is NO FUN for feeling Baby... that was our situation too, and so between that padding, and my own existing "cushioning," I didn't feel him move much at all. I could pretty much only tell when he flipped entirely over or was bouncing on my bladder, LOL. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that until months (years?) after the delivery, when I was reading that in my medical records. Would've been good to know! ;) But yeah - don't expect to feel all those little flutters or see handprints or anything with an anterior placenta. It's a bummer, but at least knowing that it's *normal* not to feel as much movement helps!

Honestly, I was so busy with work before he was born that I didn't feel all that connected to him, personally - just a vague "baby" feeling - especially since he was a boy, and I had NO idea what to do with a boy. And like I said, the anterior placenta made his movements more like background noise than anything that would get much attention.

Something else that might help you feel better is that I didn't really "fall in love" with our Kiddo until he was about a week and a half old - I was just too busy getting ready to feed, feeding, and cleaning up from feeding him, and I almost NEVER got to hold him b/c I was so busy doing things. I was kind of scared of hurting him by holding him wrong or something, too, LOL... I can see now that the prenatal busy-ness, c/s meds and sheer exhaustion due to my post-natal busy-ness were all big contributors to all of that detachment.

But I still remember holding him for the first time in a while (note: HOLD YOUR BABY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE) and just snuggling him, when I felt this overwhelming rush of love for him... it took a while, and it took me slowing down and having a chance to hold him, but it happened.

Rest assured that you'll fall in love with her, too. :)

AJ said...

You're doing great, Shauna. I didn't feel much of an emotional connection with Johnathan until he was about a month old. I was so nervous about being the sole caregiver, and I had never run into a baby quite like him in my life. lol...but we figured it out. For a long time I felt bad because of that, but years later I heard someone say the same thing and realized that it is normal.

I felt a much stronger connection with Tim that I still enjoy. We read each other so well that we still don't need to talk to communicate.

James was one that I didn't feel much connection with. I felt Hannah during James's pregnancy and was very confused when the doctor told us we were having a boy. He came to me at the temple and told me that he was busy finishing up his work and that's why he wasn't hanging around.

Hannah was another huge connection. She hung around most of James's pregnancy and then her's too. lol...I think she even told us that she was Hannah and not Esther, and she definitely pushed us to have her when we did. She didn't want to wait any longer.

Suzie Koskella said...

you are a great mother. I never felt connected with my babies until they were 2 months old. people would talk about how much they loved their baby in the belly, i know i loved them and i could tell their spirit was there i just did not feel the overwhelming love i though i needed to feel until they were older and i got to know them! You will be fine and you will love her just as much! :)