Elise and just some of her personality...
1.) I was on the phone with my Mom the other day talking about Elise. In the conversation at one point she said that if Elise starts saying "are you okay?", that it is a total Shauna thing. So, right then I said she already does it. It's so cute.
I was (and still) a worrywart growing up, and I was always making sure everyone was okay. If someone WANTED to stay home and not go to the store with the rest, I would bug them to death with "Are you sure? Are you going to be okay? oh... Are you sure?" and it was probably said over and over again. Then I would still feel sad for them when I left because I thought they might be lonely or have nothing to do (I now understand that my Dad with six girls in the house, probably loved his alone time with a good book). Don't worry, it's not THAT bad anymore. I was just ALWAYS concerned about others and their feelings also.
Not long ago, I was in the kitchen and Elise was eating in her highchair. Something was making me gag pretty bad (pregnancy-must have been a smell, probably the dishes), and all of a sudden I hear "K?..K?...K?..." I had turned around so she wouldn't see me gagging, so I turned myself back around and she had her head cocked to one side and was saying if I was okay until I told her I was okay! Cutie Pie! Ever since then, we hear it often.
She is very sensitive and can tell different people's emotions...for instance, even if someone is not cring, she can tell when they are sad. In Mulan, she liked the little dog at the beginning because it was a DOG! Then she caught on that Mulan tied a bone and he was chasing after it and couldn't get it...she doesn't like that part anymore. Many other stories, but I will save you some reading. It's a good thing that we don't let her watch too much because a lot of the shows get to her...she will want to turn it off if it's something she caught on to and doesn't like. With movies we have to fast-forward a lot of the movie. So it's pointless. We got rid of the TV. She does watch things occasionally on the computer screen.
2.) In the cart at the store she has a hard time sitting there for a long time. So I will let her down and she can help push the cart. Then that will start to be boring, and she is a wanderer. So then I will have to resort to sticking her back in the cart, which she does not like. She had a great idea..."hug, hug, hug" she was saying. I thought it was too cute and I gave her a hug. HA! she got what she wanted, out of the cart and Mom holding her. Stinker.
3.) Awhile ago we changed her crib to where it is a toddler bed. Someone knocked on the door as she was laying down, so I said I would be back, but that she needed to stay in bed. When I came back I found her at the top of the stairs laying down pretending to be asleep. Her eyes where closed and she was totally still...but then the corners of her mouth where turning up into a smile.
4.) Drinking fountains are so much fun! When she sees one she will want a drink many times. I have not been drinking enough water as I should be, especially that I am pregnant. So she somewhat helps me remember to drink water. EVERY time she drinks from a fountain, I HAVE to drink too. She will not go if I don't drink. A fit will break out. As many times as she does. She will want more after I get a drink, then after her I have to take a sip. Eventually she will be satisfied with that drinking fountain and move on.
A struggle we are trying to get through right now....letting a little someone know WHO is in CHARGE. It is difficult, it's only cute for so long when they are curious and walking and you follow them wherever they go...but when it comes time to leave a different direction, they just keep walking and could care less where their parents go (even if you distract, bribe, or tell them to come)!! If you have any input, feel free to give us a little advise. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
I don't know if I did it right, but when mine were that age they just came. If they didn't want to I'd just pick them up and take them. We didn't call to them and expect them to come until they were at least 4 years old. I was firm without being mean. They knew I was boss, but that I still loved them.
She is a smart little girl! My kids have always been very stuborn. I usually have to give them a choice.
For instance; "While we are on our walk if I ask you to come or to stop, and you don't, we will have to go straight home. You can choose, stay with Mommy or go home." After they find out you are serious they will usually "make the best choice." The key to this is being consistant and following through. It will do no good if you say you will go home and then don't.
Other examples are:
~In the grocery store if you want to walk, you stay next to me or do a time out in the cart (1 minute for each year of age). She will try to walk away and you will have to strap her in the cart (while she has a tantrum, remember to remain calm :). Remind her that she made the choice, then let her try again after her time is done. (I usually give them a cap, you can try 4 times, then you will just have to stay in the cart)
~We need to do a few errands, if you are good the whole time you will earn a treat. Choose to be good = treat. Choose to be bad/grouchy = no treat.
The list could go on forever. Just stick to your guns and she will learn that every choice has a consequence, And that you are in charge.
Post a Comment