5.08.2010

What I Want Them to Know...

As I was entering a giveaway from one of my favorite photography blogs, they made me answer one of their three questions. One of their questions just stood out to me:

What is the one thing you would want your children to know about you if you weren't around?


I would want them to know that I loved spending almost each and every day with them, and that they brought joy to my life everyday. That they have made me a better person, and I treasured each moment that I had with them as we were creating, playing, learning, goofing, loving, reading, being silly or being sad, smiling, exploring, dancing, singing, laughing, running wild, and everything in-between. I would want them to know that I love Curtis with all of my heart, and that we were meant to be together, forever and that we all can be together forever again. That I know that Curtis loves each of them and wants what is best for them and truly works hard to be the best Father and husband he can be.

I would want them to know that I loved and found joy in the simple things in life. In turn, I would want them to have and experience all the same and even more joys and be happy with the simple things in life. When you focus on these, they enrich your life, and help you become the person that you are, and who you are becoming.

I would want to tell them I know that they are children of our Father in Heaven and he loves them so much, and he finds joy in them, and is happy and wants them to return to him one day.

I would want to express my love for them, that I was so thankful and blessed to have them come to our family and be apart of our lives. That I love each one of them for the beautiful and wonderful people they are and for their own unique self and personalities, and also let them know of the love that I have for our Father in Heaven, the Savior, Jesus Christ, and my husband. I would want them to strive to have a greater love and come to know of the Savior and their Father in Heaven throughout their lives.

I would want them to know that I have a testimony of the truthfulness of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us, and that if we keep the commandments, and keep the covenants we have made, strive for and live the lives we should, we can live with Him again. I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and that he atoned and died for us and was resurrected. He made everything possible. Jospeh Smith is a true prophet of God, and he has restored the gospel on this Earth. He translated the Book of Mormon, which is the most correct book on Earth and is another Testament of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Those words in the scriptures are true and by reading it, they can gain a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and living by it will help them return to our Father in Heaven. Their lives will be enriched and blessed if they read from it every day. Our modern prophet today, Pres. Thomas S. Monson is a true prophet who helps us choose the right and is a mouthpiece of the Lord in these Latter-Days. Following his counsel is just like following the word of our Heavenly Father. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I am so blessed to be a Mom, and enjoy the experiences that comes with being a Mom. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalms 127:3). It is my responsibility to nurture and care for them, and help them grow up in righteousness to be the best people they can become. To make our Heavenly Father proud and do all that I can for them and KNOW that I did my best. I will probably feel--actually, I know --that I will always need to strive to be better, that there will always be improvements, and this is normal, good, and human-like. It is good so that I will always be working on something on my way to perfection...but it will be a strength that I can work on as a Mother and Wife: to KNOW that I did my best. I loved this last general conference, and felt so much that I need to be better at teaching my children all about the gospel in our home and be there for them to follow all of the responsibilities stated in The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

Curtis and I have recently decided that I do not need to go to school. He was supporting me because it was a goal and something i really wanted...a degree. He did not want one more thing added on to my plate, especially when we are soon going to have a second child. Either photography or school--and photography is literally my 1st choice and can be a business on its own if i would like. I am now happy that I do not have to go to school, there is not a need, and as we have faith, I will never need to go to school or work, it's just something i wanted for selfish reasons. As we discussed and decided in this, I felt so sure about it. My job is to be a Wife and Mother. I am so happy and content for this. Goals change, and I no longer feel I need to have a degree. I am completely happy with this. I need to be there for our children, and school would take that away and put added stress on me and everyone else. I can't express how happy i feel...it almost feels like a burden is lifted off my shoulders and I no longer have a need within myself to have a degree. :)

2 comments:

Chixon said...

Thanks Shana,

It was nice to read your testimony and love to your children. They are very lucky. Hope all is well with your daughter growing inside.

Dixon

karla said...

How wonderful it is to discover Heavenly Father's plans for our lives! It's amazing how following His plan brings so much peace, even when it is different from what we had planned on. Thanks for sharing - you are wonderful!